THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
A HISTORY, BIBLIOGRAPHY, & RESEARCH GUIDE
This resource documents the history of the built environment of the University of Oregon and identifies basic resources for researching the architectural heritage of Oregon's flagship university. The digital collection Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest complements this guide with hundreds of images of campus buildings and associated documentation spanning several decades of UO's history.
UO's BUILDING TIMELINESThis annotated chronology surveys the architectural history of the University of Oregon.. It is organized by the time periods listed below. Within the chronology, buildings and individuals are linked to pages that contain more information.
Campus of the University of Oregon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe campus of the University of Oregon is located in Eugene, Oregon and includes some 80 buildings and facilities, including athletics facilities such as Hayward Field, which was the site of the 2008 Olympic Track and Field Trials, and McArthur Court, and off-campus sites such as nearby Autzen Stadium and the Riverfront Research Park. An online guide to the university's built environment, Architecture of the University of Oregon, 無法連接 published by the University of Oregon Libraries, describes campus buildings and provides timelines of key architectural events linked with campus history.
The Oregon ExperimentThe university is known for being the site of a pioneering participatory planning experiment known as the Oregon Experiment (which is also the subject of a book of the same name). The two major principles of the project are that buildings should be designed, in part, by the people who will ultimately use them (usually with the help of an 'architect facilitator'), and that construction should occur over many small projects (as opposed to a few large ones).
List of buildings on campusThis list includes all buildings currently in use on the University of Oregon campus.
- Fenton Hall
- Lillis Business Complex
- Lillis Hall
- Chiles Business Center
- Peterson Hall
- Anstett Hall (formerly Gilbert Hall)
- Computing Center
- McKenzie Hall
Memorial QuadrangleThe Memorial Quad was designed by architect Ellis F. Lawrence as the "main university quadrangle." Lawrence designed many of the buildings that make up the quad, including Peterson and Gilbert Halls, now part of the Lillis Business Complex, which lie at the very end of the Quad, across 13th street. Plaques designate the walkways of the quadrangle to be the gift of Chaplain William S. Gilbert, as a memory to those from the university who served their country in time of war.
Women's Memorial QuadAlso designed by Lawrence, the Women's Memorial Quadrangle featured only dormitories and the Women's Gymnasium. The Pioneer Mother statue, commemorating Tabitha Brown, is also located here.
- Education Building
- Clinical Services Building
- MarAbel B. Frohnmayer Music Building
Central CampusThe "Heart of Campus," at 13th and University Streets, is the site of the Erb Memorial Union (EMU) and a few academic buildings. The EMU Amphitheater is also a popular venue for student demonstrations, performances, and gatherings.
- Student Health Center
- Oregon Hall
- Agate Hall, at 18th Avenue and Agate Street, formerly Condon Elementary School
- Knight Law Center
- University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History
- Many Nations Longhouse
- Pacific Hall
- Columbia Hall
- Cascade Hall
- Onyx Bridge
- Klamath Hall
- Willamette Hall
- Streisinger Hall
- Huestis Hall
- Deschutes Hall
- Riverfront Research Park
- Millrace Studios, Facilities Services, and the Central Power Station
- Earl Complex
- Carson Hall
- Walton Complex
- Living Learning Center
- Hamilton Complex
- Bean Complex
- Barnhart Hall - located between East Broadway and 11th Avenue on Patterson (off campus)
- Riley Hall - located on 11th Avenue and Patterson (off campus)
- Global Scholars Hall
- Autzen Stadium
- PK Park
- Hayward Field
- Student Recreation Center
- Esslinger Hall
- Matthew Knight Arena
- McArthur Court
- Howe Field, home of the Ducks' softball team; named after UO's first faculty athletic representative, Hebert C. Howe
Off Campus Buildings and Infrastructure
- McMorran House, the official residence of the UO President.
- White Stag Block, a refurbished complex in downtown Portland.
ChronologyThe following is a list of important dates and events leading to the creation of the buildings present on the University campus today.
- 1873 - Construction begins on Deady Hall, the first building on the University of Oregon campus.
- 1876 - Deady Hall opens as the State University Building
- 1886 - Collier House is completed at the corner of 13th and University Streets, as the personal residence of Physics professor George Collier.
- 1886 - Villard Hall opens as the second building on campus.
- 1893 - Friendly Hall, the first dormitory, is completed near Collier House.
- 1896 - Collier House purchased by the University from George Collier's estate.
1900 to 1909
- 1901 - Mechanical Hall is completed (now incorporated into the modern Lawrence Hall).
- 1906 - Fenton Hall opens as the Library.
- 1914 - Architecture Building opens, facing Franklin Boulevard. The building was renovated and now forms part of Lawrence Hall.
- 1914 - Addition to Fenton Hall provides stacks for the library.
- 1915 - Johnson Hall is opened as the Administration Building.
- 1916 - Peterson Hall is completed, called the Education Building.
- 1918 - The women's dormitory, Hendricks Hall, opens on University Street.
- 1919 - The east grandstand is built at Hayward Field.
1920sThe firm Lawrence & Holford designed all University buildings in the 1920s.
- 1921 - Gerlinger Hall opens as Woman's Memorial Hall.
- 1921 - The Education Building is completed, along with the adjoining University High School.
- 1921 - Commerce Hall (now Gilbert Hall) opens directly facing Peterson Hall.
- 1921 - Susan Campbell Hall is completed, and together with Gerlinger and Hendricks Halls forms Women's Memorial Quadrangle.
- 1923 - Journalism Building opens near the modern Allen Hall (later incorporated into the Journalism School when Allen Hall was built).
- 1923 - Architecture and Allied Arts Building completed (would later form much of Lawrence Hall).
- 1924 - The School of Music is completed near 18th Street.
- 1924 - The Power Plant and University Depot are built along Franklin Boulevard (the plant is now part of Lawrence Hall).
- 1925 - Condon Hall is completed on the corner of 13th and Kincaid Streets.
- 1925 - The West Grandstand is constructed at Hayward Field.
- 1926 - McArthur Court is erected.
- 1928 - John Straub Memorial Building (Men's Dormitory) is completed, now called Straub Hall.
- 1932 - Museum of Art opens after lying empty for two years.
- 1936 - Fenton Hall is again renovated, this time to expand it for use as the Law School.
- 1936 - Construction ends on the new Physical Education Building, now called Esslinger Hall.
- 1937 - The Library, now called Knight Library, is completed near 15th and Kincaid Streets.
- 1939 - Chapman Hall is completed to mirror Condon Hall, along 13th Street.
- 1948 - Central Power Plant is built north of Franklin Boulevard along the Willamette River.
- 1949 - Carson Hall is completed to house women students.
- 1949 - University Theater (now called Robinson Theater) is added to Villard Hall.
- 1950 - Addition to Knight Library completed.
- 1950 - Erb Memorial Union opens at 13th and University.
- 1952 - Science Building (now Pacific Hall) opens.
- 1954 - Allen Hall opens.
- 1955 - Virgil D. Earl Hall (now Earl Complex) opens to house University students.
- 1957 - Additions to the Architecture and Allied Arts Building are completed; building is renamed Lawrence Hall in honor of the late architect.
- 1958 - First units of Walton Hall (later Walton Complex) are completed near Agate Street.
- 1959 - Five units are added to Walton.
- 1959 - Leighton Pool opens at 13th and University, where Columbia Hall stands today.
- 1960 - Geology Building (now Columbia Hall) opens.
- 1961 - Onyx Bridge is completed, spanning part of Onyx Street.
- 1962 - Hamilton Complex is opened as a student dormitory.
- 1963 - Westmoreland Housing (off campus) is completed. The complex was sold by the University in 2006.
- 1964 - Bean Complex opens near Hamilton.
- 1964 - Prince Lucien Campbell Hall (nicknamed PLC) opens near Knight Library, and becomes the tallest building on campus.
- 1966 - College Inn opens (later acquired by the University and renamed Barnhart Hall.
- 1966 - Addition to Knight Library adds 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) to the original building.
- 1966 - Student Health Center opens.
- 1967 - Autzen Stadium opens across the Willamette River.
- 1967 - Computing Center is completed.
- 1967 - Klamath Hall is opened as Science II.
- 1969 - Clinical Services Building opens near the Music School.
- 1969 - Gerlinger Annex is built.
- 1970 - Law Center is completed (now McKenzie Hall).
- 1973 - Huestis Hall is dedicated as Science III.
- 1974 - Oregon Hall is built to house the University registrar and other administrative offices.
- 1980 - South Building is added to the Education Building, and renovations are made to the EMU Fishbowl.
- 1984 - Agate Hall acquired by the University
- 1986 - Millrace I and II are completed for the School of Architecture and Allied Arts.
- 1986 - Chiles Business Center opens (now part of the Lillis Business Complex).
- 1987 - The Museum of Natural History opens.
- 1990 - The new science buildings - Cascade Hall, Deschutes Hall, Streisinger Hall, and Willamette Hall - open for classes, marking the completion of the Science Complex.
- 1991 - University Athletics completes the Bowerman Family Building (near Hayward Field) and Casanova Athletic Center (at Autzen Stadium).
- 1994 - Final addition to Knight Library adds another 132,000 square feet (12,300 m2) to the building.
- 1998 - EMU Amphitheater is completed at the corner of 13th and University.
- 1998 - The Moshofsky Sports Center, the only practice facility of its kind in the Pac-10, opens near Autzen Stadium.
- 1999 - The William W. Knight Law Center opens to house the Law School.
- 1999 - The Student Recreation Center opens, which includes a remodel of the adjacent Esslinger Hall.
- 2003 - Lillis Business Complex opens, including Lillis Hall, Chiles Center, Peterson Hall, and Gilbert Hall.
- 2005 - New Many Nations Longhouse opens near the Law School.
- 2006 - Living Learning Center opens, the first new dormitory in over 40 years.
- 2008 - Lorry I. Lokey Laboratories, an underground nanotechnology research facility, opens.
- 2009 - Jaqua Center, a dedicated academic facility for student athletes, opens.
- 2009 - The construction of Matthew Knight Arena begins on February 9
- 2011 - First basketball game is played at Matthew Knight Arena on January 13.
- 2012 - The Global Scholars Hall is expected to open in the fall of 2012.
- 2012 - The Lewis Integrative Science Building is expected to open in the fall of 2012.
- 2012 - Allen Hall is expected to reopen after an extensive renovation and expansion project in late 2012.
Future campus developmentThe small size of the campus presents many hurdles for future campus development. However, the UO has plans for 40 construction projects totaling an estimated $2 billion. Among the various projects there are plans to do the following:
- A $161 million renovation and expansion of the EMU and SRC. This plan includes a 1500 seat concert hall.
- Replace Onyx Bridge with a new science building.
- Build at least one new building on the Memorial Quad. Additionally, renovate and expand existing buildings on the Quad.
- Riverfront lands development. This plan includes a pedestrian crossing over Franklin Blvd.
- Add capacity and modernize existing residence halls in order to accommodate 25% of all undergraduates.
- "University of Oregon Cultural Resources Survey: Agate Hall". University of Oregon.
- "Howe Field". sportshistory.uoregon.edu/.
- "Ducks Break Ground for the Matthew Knight Arena". goducks.com.
- "Facilities White Paper Draft". UO Planning. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- The Architecture of the University of Oregon; A History, Bibliography, and Research Guide provides detailed chronologies, documentation, and sources for University of Oregon buildings
- Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest includes images and documentation for University of Oregon buildings
- Interactive Map of the University of Oregon
The Oregon Experiment
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Oregon Experiment|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Preceded by||The Timeless Way of Building|
In the late 1960s and early 1970s, students and faculty at the University of Oregon protested against log trucks driving through campus; against the destruction of a 19th century cemetery; against the military draft and the invasions and occupations in Southeast Asia; and against the idea that the University was acting in loco parentis, in place of students' parents. On top of this, buildings created since the end of World War II were increasingly Brutalist and dystopian.
The campus community wanted more control over their lives, and their environment. The University administration took the conciliatory measure of hiring an award-winning, radical, professor from University of California, Berkeley to design a process by which the community of the university could create its own space. The University of Oregon became the experimental testbed for material that later became the bestselling book A Pattern Language.
The book prescribed that "feeling" should be the primary criteria used for making changes to any place. Improvements to the campus should be made first to those places that needed the most help. Patterns, or good solutions to generic problems, should be available in a community encyclopedia. Care should be taken to curb the economic and political power of large monolithic projects. Places should be shaped for people, to make them feel more whole, and to nourish them. And people should be involved in the construction of their community.
TodayMost new campus buildings at the University of Oregon reflect the influence of participation by user groups. Documentation related to the building of the University of Oregon science complex in the late 1980s describes 'pattern language' planning principles in process.
ReferencesThe three books in the series are:
- The Timeless Way of Building (volume 1)
- A Pattern Language (volume 2)
- The Oregon Experiment (volume 3)
- "New Science Complex: Into the Twenty-First Century." Inquiry; Special Issue of Old Oregon (January 1987): 33-35 il.
- "Interview with Charles Moore.." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Bloomer, Kent. "The Confounding Issue of Collaboration Between Architects and Artists." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Campbell, Robert. "Knight's Moves." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Coffin, Christie Johnson. "Making Places for Scientists." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Harby, Stephen. "Using New Buildings to Solve Old Problems." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Mosely, John. "From Participation to Ownership: How Users Shape the Science Complex." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 16-21.
- Pally, Marc. "Finding a Place for Collaboration." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Rowe, J. David. "The Roots of Oregon's Planning Tradition." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Streisinger, Lotte. "People, Place and Public Art." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Wingwall, Alice. "Cascade Charley." Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.
- Yudell, Buzz. "Building Unity Through Participation" Places; A Quarterly Journal of Environmental Design 7 no. 4 (1992): 8-15.